Thursday 28 February 2013

PeTA: less shock, more honesty please


I'm angry with PeTA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). I'm angry that they exaggerate for shock value, and that they are undermining the credibility of an important cause.


On Wednesday, Chisako and I watched a PeTA video about fur farming in China. (I've included a link to the video at the end of this post, but please read on before you click.) It was gruesome. Shocking. We learned that animals are routinely skinned while still alive and conscious.  We saw a skinned dog, still alive, turn to look straight at the camera.  I was shaken, and Chisako was crying her eyes out. "How can we stop this?"

But then I started thinking. The narrator's words were: "They are still alive; their hearts beat for up to five minutes. They thrash in agony." But, as any abbatoir worker can tell you, even after its brain is destroyed an animal's limbs will thrash and its heart will beat for a few minutes. Would a skinner really go to the trouble of skinning a conscious, struggling animal when he could just kill it first? Conclusion: the animals are not still alive.

And, for similar reasons, I'm pretty sure the image of the skinned dog was a latex model or something (for "illustrative purposes"). That didn't stop the flashbacks from keeping me awake.

PeTA, this really isn't on. Most people viewing that video will take it at face value. You know that. You are deliberately misleading people. In the long term you are undermining your credibility and, by association, the credibility of those who speak out on the same issues. And you made my wife cry.

Now, as promised, here's the link for you to copy and paste into your browser. Be warned that it's NSFH (Not Safe For Home) and, unfortunately, YouTube isn't working in my browser at the moment, so I can't be 100% that this is the correct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7aPoDg5fDc

No comments:

Post a Comment